Well, the past couple weeks have been interesting. I’ve found out that I cannot teach classes on campus this fall, due to low enrollment. Which means I really have no reason to stick around here for another year.
A friend and I have been talking about moving to Chicago and being roommates for over two years. He moved up there about a week ago, because he got a great job offer.
Now I’m really torn – should I stay here, continue trying to get research done, apply for more PhD programs, and see what happens . . . or should I move to Chicago, find a job, and put off a PhD indefinitely.
I’ve been browsing through job listings in Chicago and have found quite a bit of stuff I’m interested in, so I’m leaning toward looking for a job. My main reason for considering PhD programs is because it would open more doors into the field I’m interested in. If I can break into the field without a PhD, there’s really no reason not to start working.
I’m working at summer camps (as a desk clerk 20 hours per week, not a full-time camp counselor) for five weeks starting next week. I think I’m going to take advantage of that time to start putting my resume out there and applying for jobs around Chicago.
My lease here is up in August. I can renew it if I decide to stick around for a while longer, but if I do decide to go to Chicago, the timing is pretty much perfect.